Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Tools and Tips for Interior Painting





So do you want to know what tools I use and how I use them?



It is always a better result to take off the outlet covers and window treatments and everything that will be interference and can easily be removed and replaced.

First step is put some quality drop clothes and disposable plastic like a 1 or 2 millimeter in thickness. I put the plastic as a first line of defense on carpeting and over furniture and items not being removed, and then I add a layer of drop clothes to the plastic on the floors

Now that we have the area covered I start by sanding, I use a sanding pole head with my extension pole. The extension pole is a must for easy rolling over large surfaces and ceilings also. I use 120 grit sandpaper on the walls. Sanding trim requires either a small power palm sander or just some 220 grit sandpaper and some muscle.

The next step is to fill any dents, holes and fix imperfections, since we just sanded, any bumps were already removed. I don’t like spackle for a number of reasons and I use durabond for these fixes. So I use a 6” putty knife and a 12” mud pan where I mix some powdered durabond by adding a little water and mix. This makes the walls nice and smooth for the finished painting. Use some caulking were the walls meet the trim if cracked

As this dries, it is time to start getting your paint ready for use. Start by shaking your paint before opening then stirring once opened, followed by boxing multiple gallons together and stirring some more. Poor some into your bucket and your ready to get messy. I use a 2.5” angle Purdy brush. I start where the ceiling meets the wall and work to the right. Once the top is complete I brush the closest corner down to the baseboard and follow that in a left direction, going up around the doors as I come to them and then all the windows.

After the walls are cut in / edged out. Let’s get ready to roll. I mostly use a Wooster 18” 5 gallon capacity roller bucket it is large square and durable. I use the Wooster 18’ roller frame and a Purdy roller cover. Starting approximately one foot away from the corner and in the middle of the wall I will roll up 2 feet and the down to the bottom and back up, but to the top this time. I will continue this up and down slowly moving to the left until I have the paint evenly spread out on the surface and until the roller cover needs more paint. Continue this step until all the wall space is covered. Before moving to the next wall it is good to “back roll” over the area you just completed- provided it is still wet enough for this option. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4HE8fsGq70

A small fan will help dry the walls for the second coat if you’re in a small enclosed room.

I always bring a small step ladder 3’ for the average room and larger if needed.

If your room is not well lit it will be difficult to have good end results so plan to bring some light into the room

My tool basics include: Rollers, brushes, multi-tool, pliers, screw drivers, hammer, putty knives, stirring sticks, caulking, razor knife, nail set, sand paper, cut in pale and ladder

No comments:

Post a Comment